Energy Analyst with Cyber Expertise (mid- to senior-level) | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is looking for an energy sector expert with a strong grasp of cyber security challenges in the energy sector. This person must have (or must quickly build) an understanding of infrastructure control systems, power systems, or smart grid infrastructure. Ideally, this person also has a proven ability to analyze, synthesize, and communicate technical information to non-experts, such as executives and policymakers.
The energy analyst will not work directly with cyber systems. This is not an IT or software development position. Rather, the individual will work with government clients, energy professionals, and policymakers to address complex cyber security challenges in the energy sector, lead research-intensive studies, and facilitate experts to critically analyze and recommend solutions. While we don’t seek a flawless writer, the individual must be able to translate and discuss complex topics clearly in both discussions and written products.
Nexight Group is a small technical and management consulting firm working for a variety of clients in many topic areas. This position will primarily support government clients in the energy sector. Adaptability, critical thinking, and genuine curiosity are all equally important to skills and subject matter expertise.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Confidently facilitate and engage with experts and leaders in the energy industry, government, and academia to gather original insights on technical topics of study, discern trends and challenges, and identify recommendations for programs, policy, or R&D.
- Lead meetings and workshops and facilitate collaborative projects and consensus decision-making within government programs and agencies, multi-agency/cross-sector working groups, and public-private partnership bodies.
- Effectively synthesize research, data, expert viewpoints, and your own expertise to develop strategy documents, white papers, studies, reports, presentations, and other products—understanding the difference between summarizing and synthesizing.
- Proactively evaluate client needs and recommend strategies and solutions, including R&D program planning and analysis, process improvements, strategic planning and roadmapping, and data gathering and analysis.
- Research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data, analyze trends and future directions, develop insightful summaries of key issues, and similar tasks that require strong critical thinking and analysis of complex problems.
- Provide subject matter expertise to review colleague and client work and produce reports, studies, briefings, and analyses that are technically accurate and defensible.
- Develop strong arguments and compelling and written analysis, working with technical editors to produce accurate, concise, and engaging content tailored to diverse audiences.
- Serve as the single point of accountability in successfully completing client projects, including but not limited to the following tasks:
- Monitor and manage project activities and costs to ensure on-time, on-budget completion of projects and milestones.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for the quality, accuracy, and completeness of project deliverables.
- Lead and support project teams of analysts, subject matter experts, writers, editors, and designers to efficiently and cohesively produce deliverables.
- Seek out and value substantive editing and input from teammates and colleagues to produce high-quality, polished work products.
- Work well in a fast-paced, participative, deadline-oriented environment.
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in energy, engineering, cyber security, or related fields
- 8-15 years of full-time professional experience, preferably in a government consulting or other professional services environment
- Experience working in one or more of the following subject areas:
- Energy sector security and resilience
- Energy/environmental analysis or policy
- Smart grid and energy delivery systems
- Industrial control systems
- Cyber security
- Writing skills that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Proven track record of performing technical analyses and desktop research of high quality
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Ability to attain a Public Trust clearance
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Conducting stakeholder consultations via interviews, focus groups, or facilitated workshops
- Facilitating diverse groups to come to consensus or collaborate on a way forward
- Working with federal agencies or other organizations advising on energy policy
- Strategic planning and roadmapping
- Technical communications
- Designing, facilitating, or documenting tabletop exercises
- Conducting complex data analysis and reporting
- Communicating data visually
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, or PowerPoint
- Experience supervising junior technical staff
- Established track record of success in winning competitively awarded grants or contracts
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Please include two sample work products or writing samples that demonstrate your research acumen and ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly. These samples are optional, however, applications that include writing samples will be reviewed before those without samples. Please send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Promising candidates will be asked to perform a short exercise to assess analysis and synthesis capability.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer