Senior Research Analyst (mid-level) | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is searching for intelligent, thoughtful individuals who have a knack for performing desktop research, conducting thoughtful analysis, synthesizing information to draw meaningful conclusions, and writing original and engaging content that accurately communicates complex information. We are a small consulting firm working in a diverse mix of subject areas for a variety of clients in the public and private sector. This makes adaptability, critical thinking, genuine curiosity, and constant learning equally important to skills and subject matter expertise.
In particular, this role would predominantly support work for clients in the energy sector, where we have to conduct research and prepare a variety of intelligent, clear, and compelling products to support industry leaders and U.S. government officials who are working to tackle complex challenges.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Rapidly build understanding of specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate understanding into plain English for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data, analyze trends and future directions, develop insightful and accurate syntheses of key issues, and tackle similar tasks that require strong critical thinking and analysis of complex problems.
- Interview and communicate with subject matter experts to gather informed and original opinions on topics of study or clarify specific trends or meaning of data.
- Develop multifaceted research plans for effective data collection, management, and analysis.
- Assist in facilitating diverse groups of expert stakeholders to build partnerships, reach consensus decisions, and creatively solve complex problems.
- Build subject matter expertise and use it to effectively synthesize research, data, and expert viewpoints and tailor information to the right audience.
- Write concise and engaging content for reports, roadmaps, presentations, policy briefings, fact sheets, and other outreach publications.
- Develop both detailed and high-level summaries of interviews, meetings, and workshops.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, business, engineering, or physical science
- More than five years of professional experience
- At least two years of experience in energy or energy-related work
- Experience in analysis and synthesis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to understand highly technical, complex information and translate it to communicate to various audiences
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to attain a Public Trust clearance
- Master’s degree
- Professional experience in a consulting or other professional services environment
- Experience in communicating data visually
- Experience conducting stakeholder consultations via interviews, focus groups, or facilitated workshops
- Experience facilitating diverse groups to come to consensus or collaborate on a way forward
- Experience working with federal agencies or other organizations advising on energy policy
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise, and learn about a variety of topics. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Applications that include writing samples that demonstrate your research acumen and information synthesis skills will be reviewed before those without writing samples; these samples are optional. Please send all information to email@example.com and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.