Senior Technical Writer/Editor | Silver Spring, MD
The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will be responsible for the development of a range of documents for Nexight and its clients in the infrastructure protection sector and will ensure the technical and grammatical accuracy of those documents. They will support a federal client in conducting its programmatic and partnership activities and oversee the work of other editors or writers. The position is contingent upon the contract award to the team on which Nexight is a part and will be located on-site with the client in Arlington, VA.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Write and edit compelling and visually interesting fact sheets, brochures, website content, strategic plans, reports, press releases, presentations, and other documents (1 to 50 pages in length) that communicate complex scientific and technical information to a range of audiences, including non-technical readers.
- Ensure technical accuracy at all times while improving grammar, punctuation, readability, style, flow, and persuasiveness in order to achieve the client’s objectives.
- Oversee the design and development of a variety of outreach and communication products produced by others and manage the day-to-day work and prioritization of activities of other writers and editors who are supporting the client.
- Analyze and draft written responses, outreach materials, partnership communications/messages, and other related materials in response to requests.
- Conduct and accurately document research or oversee research to support written content and verify the technical accuracy of any claims that are made, working with technical staff and clients as appropriate.
- Prepare background, summary, briefing, and presentation materials in support of partnership and council outreach activities, including meetings, events, or conferences.
- Ensure compliance of your products and oversee the compliance of other’s products with applicable client style guides and records management policies.
- Provide input to the visual communication of complex concepts and the layouts of documents and other materials.
Summary of Qualifications
- Masters degree in communications, English, journalism, or a science field
- At least 10 years of professional experience
- Portfolio of written material that includes published pieces
- Demonstrated ability to understand highly technical, complex information and translate into plain English targeted at a variety of audiences
- Experience using and adhering to style guides
- Ability to conduct efficient internet-based research into complex subjects
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work well in both independent and team-based environments
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to attain a Public Trust clearance or higher clearance level
- Experience in web-based, multimedia, and visual communication
- At least three years of full-time professional experience in a consulting environment
- Experience supporting a U.S. Federal Government agency
- Current Department of Homeland Security Clearance (Public Trust or above)
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements. Both your resume and your cover letter should convey your ability to synthesize technical information and present it clear to the target audience. Please send all information to email@example.com and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.