Visual Communications Analyst (entry- to mid-level) | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is seeking an intelligent, thoughtful, creative individual with proven experience designing a range of compelling print and digital visual products. An ideal Visual Communications Analyst has a knack for breaking down complex concepts, determining the best ways to visualize them for specific target audiences, and translating them into innovative, high-impact graphics and layouts that make the information immediately clear and easy to understand. In addition, this person should understand the connections between visual choices and implied meaning and be able to strategically craft a narrative argument using thoughtfully designed elements. An ideal Visual Communications Analyst should also be comfortable taking on writing and editing tasks and may also possess additional skills, such as interactive design, original illustration, web design, video production, or marketing expertise.
We are a small consulting firm working in a wide mix of subject areas for a variety of clients in the public and private sectors. Adaptability, critical thinking, and genuine curiosity are all equally important.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Design and write a range of communication materials including fact sheets, reports, presentations, and web content for a range of target audiences.
- Rapidly build an understanding of specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate that understanding into plain English and visual infographics with compelling narratives.
- Accurately express technical and logical concepts in clear and creative ways, and apply graphic design principles to produce clean, fresh products that exceed client expectations.
- Offer and implement strategic advice on visualization and design choices for a range of internal and external clients
- Edit content and designed drafts of communication materials to eliminate errors.
- Contribute to Nexight Group marketing efforts via the development of website content, promotional materials, and social media content.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, graphic design, English, journalism, or other related field
- 1–5 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience developing clear, modern infographics and document layouts
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to think critically and work well in both independent and team-based environments
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Ability to receive a Public Trust Clearance
- Must provide a portfolio of sample work
- Master’s degree
- More than 3 years of professional experience
- Experience with any of the following:
- Web design, content management systems, and/or video production
- Data visualization and interactive graphic design
- Marketing and branding strategy
- Social media strategy and development of content/visuals
- Professional experience in a consulting or other professional services environment
- Interest and/or experience in technical topics such as energy, climate change, infrastructure security and resilience, cyber security, public health, and materials and manufacturing innovation
Why Nexight Group?
We believe hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where people can have fun and excel professionally. We’re in a small firm with a family atmosphere and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. You will visibly contribute to the success for the company, be empowered to manage your career, and encouraged to explore your professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume, cover letter, and link to your portfolio or samples of your work. Please send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary; attractive benefits including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.