Writer-Editor (mid-level) | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is searching for intelligent, thoughtful individuals who have a knack for communicating complex information. We are a small consulting firm working in a diversity of subject areas for a variety of clients in the public and private sector. This makes adaptability, critical thinking, genuine curiosity, and constant learning equally as important as skills and subject matter expertise.
This role would predominantly support a federal client where we conduct research and analysis to develop clear and compelling products for subject matter experts, leaders in industry, and senior U.S. government officials who are working together to tackle complex challenges facing our nation’s critical infrastructure.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Write and edit fact sheets, talking points, presentations, in-depth reports, white papers, and other documents (ranging from 1 to 100 pages in length) that communicate complex information to a range of audiences, including non-technical readers
- Research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data, develop insightful and accurate syntheses of key issues, and tackle similar tasks that require strong critical thinking and analysis of complex problems
- Develop thoughtful questions and conduct and summarize interviews with executives, technical and subject matter experts, and government program managers to inform insights on topics of study
- Assist in facilitating and engaging with experts and leaders in industry, government, and academia to gather original insights on technical topics of study, discern trends, and challenges
- Develop and track project schedules and coordinate the support of others to ensure continuous progress needed to meet known deadlines
- Ensure technical accuracy of materials at all times while improving grammar, punctuation, readability, style, flow, and persuasiveness to achieve objectives
- Provide input to the visual communication of complex concepts and the layouts of documents and other materials
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, or a writing-heavy social science discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in writing and editing
- Demonstrated ability to understand highly technical, complex information and translate it to communicate to various audiences
- Demonstrated ability to develop project schedules and coordinate the work of others in meeting those schedules
- Ability to conduct efficient internet-based research on complex subjects
- Experience managing a master document, integrating inputs from multiple sources and authors, editing content for clarity and accuracy based on style guides, and serving as the last line of defense before a document is delivered to the client
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- Demonstrated ability and comfort working with and communicating about qualitative data
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to attain a Public Trust clearance
- Full-time professional experience in a consulting environment
- Project management experience or related certification
- 10 years of full-time professional experience in technical writing and editing.
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
Please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Please include two writing samples that demonstrate your ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly to the target audience. Work produced professionally is preferred, though academic writing samples are acceptable. Please send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.