Nexight Group is seeking a seasoned writer/editor with proven experience writing for the web, social media, and/or other communications products, with the ability to lead teams on communications and editorial projects of varying size and complexity in technical topic areas related to agriculture, health and medicine, and public policy.
Working both independently and in close collaboration with teammates and clients, the position will oversee the production of a range of communications products, including documents, web-based products, and visual communication products. A successful applicant has strong oral and written communications skills and quickly synthesizes information from an array of sources to deliver clear and compelling products. This role has potential to grow into a supervisory position, if desired.
Nexight Group is a small technical and management consulting firm working for a variety of clients in many topic areas. Being adaptable, curious, and a critical thinker will be just as important as technical writing skills and project management experience
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Rapidly build understanding of specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate that understanding into compelling narrative and analysis for both specialists and general audiences.
- Ensure technical accuracy of materials at all times while improving grammar, punctuation, scannability, readability, style, flow, and persuasiveness to engage target audiences.
- Lead and direct project teams in producing engaging content for digital platforms (e.g., websites, social media, newsletters), and other communications products including training materials, briefings, fact sheets, and reports.
- Support face-to-face meetings with middle- or higher-level managers and executives, interacting directly with clients to identify needs and propose solutions.
- Exercise sound project management techniques, including developing proper documentation, schedules, and communications to organize work and monitor progress.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Use content management systems (e.g., WordPress, Drupal) and manage complex documents by integrating inputs from multiple sources and authors, editing content for clarity and accuracy based on Nexight and client style guides, and serving as the last touch before delivery to the client.
Work location will be Silver Spring, MD, but some remote work and flexible scheduling is permitted.
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, English, communications, marketing, journalism, or related field (e.g., a writing-heavy social science discipline) with demonstrated communications experience plus 5–7 years of professional work experience OR 10–12 years of professional work experience in these specified fields
- Ability to comfortably and professionally communicate with colleagues and external partners at all levels of seniority
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Demonstrated experience coordinating development of communications products
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Graduate degree, Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of professional work experience, OR 12+ years of full-time professional experience in technical writing and editing or communications
- Previous work experience leading and directing teams and/or supervising direct reports
- Previous work experience leading projects of various size, duration, and complexity to produce digital communications products
- Knowledge and previous use of style guides, editorial calendars, and content management systems
- Experience facilitating diverse groups to come to consensus or collaborate on a way forward
- Previous experience in management consulting
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint, Planner, Trello, or similar project management tools