Nexight Group is seeking a research and communications analyst with proven experience quickly becoming conversant in new technical topic areas, mainly related to food and agriculture and health and medicine (i.e., regenerative medicine and innovative product development). The ideal analyst will conduct desktop research efficiently, offer critical analysis, synthesize information to draw meaningful conclusions and write original and engaging content that accurately communicates complex information in a style appropriate to the platform and audience.
Nexight Group is a small technical and management consulting firm that serves a variety of clients in many topic areas. Adaptability, critical thinking, genuine curiosity, and taking pride in hard work are all equally important to skills and subject matter expertise. To learn more about the company please visit our careers page.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Rapidly build subject matter expertise to effectively research, analyze, synthesize, and communicate complex topics, data, and expert viewpoints—at a level appropriate to the specified audience (e.g., non-technical audiences, technical experts, managers, and leadership within both government and non-government organizations)
- Write concise and engaging content for reports, roadmaps, presentations, policy briefings, fact sheets, executive summaries, training materials, and digital platforms (e.g., websites, social media, newsletters)
- Ensure technical accuracy of materials while improving grammar, punctuation, scannability, readability, style, flow, and persuasiveness to engage target audiences
- Research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data, trends, and future directions to develop insightful and accurate syntheses and visualizations of key issues
- Apply critical thinking skills to research, analyze, communicate, solve complex problems, and develop creative solutions tailored to specific clients and projects
- Engage with subject matter experts via surveys and interviews and facilitate meetings to gather individual perspectives, clarify specific trends, reach consensus decisions, and achieve client objectives
- Perform the above duties individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Nexight’s offices are in Silver Spring, MD. The position is open to in-person, remote, or hybrid candidates. Candidates must be willing to occasionally travel within the continental United States—most often the Washington, D.C. area—to support clients. Applicants should also expect to travel to Nexight’s offices at least once per quarter.
This is a primarily sedentary position in an environmentally controlled office setting, although moving between work areas may be required. Manipulating a computer keyboard or mouse and operating standard office equipment is required for this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Summary of Qualifications
Education and Experience
- One of the following combinations of degree and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, English, communications, journalism, education, or related field (e.g., a writing-heavy humanities or social science discipline) with demonstrated familiarity and/or interest in agriculture, health, medicine, and/or public policy; or
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, biomedical engineering, health sciences, food and agriculture, or related scientific fields with demonstrated experience writing for non-technical audiences
- At least one year of professional experience (including internships)
- In lieu of degree requirements, the equivalent of 5 years of relevant professional experience in agriculture, health, medicine, and/or public policy
Demonstrated Ability and Skill
Candidates should be able to demonstrate that they can apply the following abilities and skills to consistently and reliably produce high-quality work:
- Ability to quickly review, comprehend, analyze, and synthesize qualitative or quantitative data and information from various sources (such as surveys, interviews, technical and scientific reports, law and regulation, policy)
- With strict attention to detail and accuracy, communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences via scannable formats (such as briefings and presentations, newsletters, executive summaries, educational content, fact sheets, memos, videos, web, and social media content)
- Ability to comfortably and professionally interact and communicate in written and verbal form with colleagues and external partners with diverse backgrounds and at all levels of seniority
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated familiarity or interest in agriculture, health, medicine, and/or public policy
- Previous experience in management consulting; supporting or working for a federal government client; or with professional, technical, or trade organizations
- Experience in communicating data visually, such as through infographics, icons, tables and charts, document design and layout, video, or interactive dashboards
- Proficient in Microsoft SharePoint, Trello, or similar project management tools
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $50,000 to $65,000.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical, dental, and vison insurance; paid parental leave; company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs); company 401(k) contributions; profit sharing; and an annual bonus program.
Please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter that articulates your qualifications, uses examples that demonstrate your relevant skills and background, and details your motivation for this position.
- Two writing samples or work products that demonstrate your research acumen and ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly, such as briefings, executive summaries, brief reports that analyze or communicate technical information, presentations, fact sheets, training or educational material, newsletters, web articles, or written analysis and communication material developed for a college course.
Failure to submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples will result in your application not being considered. Promising candidates will be asked to perform a brief critical thinking exercise. If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.