Nexight Group is looking for a senior, experienced engineer or technical professional with a background to support innovative research to decarbonize manufacturing systems. An ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about energy-intensive industrial processes; industrial thermal processes and systems; manufacturing energy consumption; industrial electrification technologies; technologies that can use low-carbon fuels and feedstocks; and carbon capture, utilization, and storage in manufacturing. Ideally, this person also has a proven ability to analyze, synthesize, and communicate technical information to non-experts, such as executives and policymakers.
The industrial decarbonization technical consultant will not work directly with manufacturing or energy systems. This is not an engineering or design position. Rather, the individual will work with government clients, industry peers, and policymakers to address complex energy-related challenges in manufacturing, lead research-intensive studies, be a subject matter expert, and engage other experts to critically analyze and recommend solutions. While we don’t seek a flawless writer, the individual must be able to translate and discuss complex topics clearly in both discussions and written products.
Nexight Group is a small technical and management consulting firm working for a variety of public- and private-sector clients in many topic areas. This position will primarily support government clients funding research to decarbonize the manufacturing sector. Adaptability, critical thinking, and genuine curiosity are all equally important as skills and subject matter expertise.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Lead technical contributions and conduct and/or manage technical project tasks, including but not limited to the following tasks:
- Assist with all phases of federal research and development (R&D) portfolio planning, implementation, tracking, and evaluation.
- Conduct strategic reviews of energy use in manufacturing industries, analysis of trends and future directions, quantitative analysis of relevant data, and many other tasks.
- Interact confidently as a peer with experts and leaders in industry, government, and academia to gather views on topics in manufacturing, energy, and materials.
- Effectively synthesize research, data, expert viewpoints, and your own expertise to develop strategies, white papers, studies, reports, presentations, and other products—understanding the difference between summarizing and synthesizing.
- Provide subject matter expertise to review colleague and client work and produce reports, studies, briefings, and analyses that are technically accurate and defensible.
- Write concise and clear content for reports, roadmaps, presentations, fact sheets, operational guides, and training material.
- Proactively evaluate client needs and recommend strategies and solutions, including R&D program planning and analysis, process improvements, strategic planning and roadmapping, facilitation, and data gathering and analysis.
- Lead and facilitate collaborative projects and consensus decision-making within government programs and agencies, multi-agency/cross-sector working groups, and public-private partnership bodies.
- Manage and grow client relationships, often in collaboration with Nexight leadership.
- Rapidly build an understanding of specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate that understanding into a format that is accessible for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Support Nexight staff in their understanding and effective utilization of technical concepts and terminology.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Work location will be Silver Spring, MD, but candidates who wish to work remotely and live outside the Washington, DC area are welcome to apply. For remote candidates, occasional work in Washington, DC may be required to support clients; applicants should expect to travel to Nexight’s offices at least once per quarter.
Summary of Qualifications
- Master’s degree in engineering, materials science, energy, or related fields.
- 15-20 years of full-time professional experience, preferably in a technical role in manufacturing, government position, technical consulting role, or other professional services environment.
- Experience working in one or more of the following subject areas:
- Chemicals, iron and steel, cement, food products, and other industries, including process intensification and sustainable manufacturing.
- Thermal processes and systems such as industrial furnaces; combustion equipment; electrochemical processes and direct electrification of reaction processes; electrified process heating; other electro technology; and other process heating and separation processes.
- Onsite energy resources including thermal storage; distributed energy systems; combined heat and power; and technologies that use low-carbon fuels, feedstocks, wastes, and byproducts.
- Industrial control systems; smart manufacturing and manufacturing operations; and smart grid and energy delivery systems.
- Industrial wastewater treatment and water use reduction.
- Energy markets, energy/environmental analysis, and decarbonization strategies.
- Writing skills that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities.
- Proven track record of performing technical analyses and desktop research of high quality.
- Ability to work well in both independent and team-based environments.
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel and Word.
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation.
- Professional experience working in a manufacturing or industrial environment
- R&D project management and portfolio analysis
- One or more of the following skill sets:
- Techno-economic analysis
- Quantitative data analysis and reporting
- Strategic planning and communications
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement
- Experience supervising junior technical staff