Nexight Group is seeking a critical thinker with the proven ability to analyze complex information and communicate the results through a range of compelling print and digital visual products. This person should:
- Have the ability to listen actively in early-stage concept meetings with Nexight staff and clients, pick up on the needs being expressed, ask targeted clarifying questions, and provide thoughtful insight in real time that helps define and shape the end product.
- Understand how to communicate verbally and visually to different target audiences. This includes the ability to translate complex concepts into visualizations that resonate with specific audiences, structure layouts that organize content into clear and compelling narrative arguments, and apply visual elements with intention.
- Be able to both apply basic design principles and visual creativity to craft fresh, modern-looking products that align with client branding guidelines and push the boundaries of what Nexight offers where possible.
An ideal Visual Communications Analyst should also be comfortable taking on writing and editing tasks and possess additional skills, such as interactive design, animation, web design, video production, or marketing expertise.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and design a range of modern-looking communication materials including fact sheets, reports, presentations, infographics, and digital products for specific target audiences.
- Actively participate, listen, and provide real-time strategic advice on visualization and design choices in concept meetings with Nexight staff and clients, usually as an integral part of the project team.
- Rapidly build an understanding of both target audiences and specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate that understanding into compelling visual products with clear, logical structure and flow.
- Express complex concepts in creative and accurate ways and apply graphic design principles to produce clean, fresh products that exceed client expectations.
- Edit content and designed drafts of communication materials to eliminate errors.
- Contribute to Nexight Group marketing efforts via the development of website content, promotional materials, and social media content.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Work location will be Silver Spring, MD, but some remote work and flexible scheduling is permitted.
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with 1 year of relevant experience or 5 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience developing clear, modern graphics and document layouts that are focused on driving target audiences to take specific action
- Ability to think critically and work well in both independent and team-based environments
- Attention to detail with oversight from supervisor and colleagues
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Adaptability to changes in direction, project types, subject matter, and workload
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
- Must provide a portfolio of sample work
- Master’s degree with 1 year of relevant experience or 7 years professional work experience.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Data visualization and interactive graphic design
- Animation and/or video production
- Web design and content management systems
- Writing and editing outreach materials and messages
- Marketing and branding strategy
- Professional experience in a consulting or other professional services environment
- Interest and/or experience in technical topics such as energy, climate change, infrastructure security and resilience, cyber security, public health, and materials and manufacturing innovation
All applicants should include two sample work products or digital portfolio that demonstrate your design acumen and ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly.